John (18) Patten Emmet was the sixth son born in New York to Rosina (Hubley) and Judge Robert (2) Emmet. He was named after Judge Robert's brother, John Patten (5) Emmet and also after Judge Emmet's mother, Jane Patten's father, Rev John Patten of Ireland. John went to the same boarding school in Flushing as his older brother Bill (17). Run by Rev. Francis L Hawks, and called St Thomas's Hall, it was thought to provide excellent instruction, though considered by the boys to be "strict."
Rev. Hawks was a controversial and charismatic figure, whose sermons were admired by Daniel Webster and Philip Hone (in his Diary,) but whose financial mismanagement of St Thomas led to its closing in 1844, with Hawks forced to leave the City amidst public accusations of embezzlement and promiscuity. John went on to college and worked as a broker until his retirement, although in the 1880 census he is recorded as a "retired lawyer," whereas in every previous census he listed himself as a broker. He lived in New Rochelle with his father until he married Cornelia LeRoy Edgar on August 15, 1877 in Brookline, MA; she was 40 years old and he was 47. Their marriage was one of several between LeRoys and Emmets.
Cornelia had been living in Boston with her older sister, Mary (Edgar) Thorndike. Four years earlier, in November of 1873, their mother, Elizabeth and younger sister, also named Elizabeth, went to Europe on board a French iron steamship called the Ville-du-Havre. The ship collided in the night with a 3-masted iron clipper, the Loch Earn. Their captain told his passengers not to worry - that all was well, but with newly painted lifeboats stuck fast to the deck, only 61 of the 333 passengers survived; the Ville-du-havre sank in 12 minutes.
Cornelia was connected to the Emmet family through her grandmother and namesake, Cornelia LeRoy, whose brother, William Henry LeRoy married Elizabeth (4) Emmet, John Patten (18) Emmet's aunt - a sister of John's father, Judge Robert (2). In 1880, John hired Tiffany to make a large silver plate, a copy of the one presented to Dr Robert Emmet, the father of TAE (1), by the Board of Governors of St Patrick's Hospital in Dublin in 1783. The Emmet crest is in the center and the surrounding words read (in part): to Robert Emmet, Esq., State Physician, as a Memorial .. of the many services rendered by him to that institution as Governor, Physician and Treasurer." This plate was also left to Bill's son, Robert Temple (67) Emmet.
John died in New Rochelle on Nov 24, 1894; the notice of his funeral in the NY Times says that the service would be at Christ Church in Pelham at 11 am, and that carriages would be at the New Rochelle station to meet the train leaving Grand Central at 10:06. Cornelia died in Boston on 2 Jan 1896 at her sister Mary's. Their place of burial is not known but it is probable that they are both in the Edgar/Emmet vault in Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle, NY.